July 18 Holidays and Events
On July 18th, a multitude of significant events have unfolded throughout history, marking this date as a crossroads of cultural, political, and social change.
In terms of political transitions, July 18, 1947, saw Harry S. Truman sign the second Presidential Succession Act in the United States, clarifying the order of succession beyond the Vice President.
The literary world was forever changed on July 18, 1925, when Adolf Hitler published ‘Mein Kampf,’ a book that would have a cataclysmic impact in the years leading up to and during World War II.
Turning to religious milestones, July 18 marks the date the doctrine of papal infallibility was pronounced by the First Vatican Council in 1870. This doctrine declared that the Pope, when speaking ex cathedra on matters of faith and morals, is infallible.
The realm of civil rights and leadership also acknowledges this date, as Nelson Mandela, a beacon of peace and justice, celebrates his birthday. He was born on July 18, 1918, and would go on to become the President of South Africa, well-known for his role in ending apartheid.
|King Edward I issues the Edict of Expulsion, banishing Jews from England.
|The Battle of the Allia marks a historical event where Roman forces faced defeat by invading Gauls.
|Proclamation of papal infallibility at the First Vatican Council.
|Birthday of Nelson Mandela, anti-apartheid revolutionary and later President of South Africa.
|Adolf Hitler publishes ‘Mein Kampf,’ influencing the trajectory of World War II.
The impact of these events is felt even in contemporary times as they have shaped governance, influenced global conflicts, and redefined human rights and religious perspectives across the globe.
July 18th has been a significant day for several noteworthy events in pop culture history. Important literary and political milestones coincide with the birthdays of influential figures in the world of arts and governance.
Literature: On July 18, 1925, Adolf Hitler’s manifesto, Mein Kampf, was published. It would later become one of the most controversial books in history due to its political ideology.
Cinema and Television:
- Actresses: Kristen Bell, celebrated for her roles in both film and television, was born on this day in 1980. Her charisma and talent have made her a beloved figure in contemporary pop culture.
- Authors: Jane Austen, the iconic English novelist known for her keen observations of early 19th-century British society, died on this date in 1817, leaving behind a legacy of classic literature.
- Novelists: William Makepeace Thackeray, another renowned English novelist, shared this birthday, having been born in 1811.
- Olympic Games: Nadia Comăneci, a gymnast whose flawless performance at the Olympic Games earned her the first perfect score of 10 in modern Olympic gymnastics history, was born on July 12, 1961, and rose to historic acclaim during her competitive years within the week following July 18.
- Leaders: Notably, the birth of politician Kim Jong-un is also recognized on this day, though his exact birth year remains unclear. He has become an internationally recognized political figure.
- Activism: Nelson Mandela International Day is observed on July 18, honoring the late president of South Africa and his contributions to culture, human rights, and the fight against apartheid.
- Astronauts: John Glenn, the first American to orbit Earth, made history not only through his space missions but also through his later career in politics, representing Ohio in the U.S. Senate for 24 years.
Celebrations and Famous Birthdays
July 18 is marked by the celebration of notable figures in various fields, from entertainment to leadership. This date is recognized for the birth of individuals who have made significant impacts in their respective domains.
- Priyanka Chopra: The Indian movie actress and Miss World 2000 turns 41.
- Kristen Bell: Known for her role in TV and film, she celebrates her 43rd birthday.
- Vin Diesel: Esteemed for his work in action films, he shares this birth date.
- Wendy Williams: The TV show host is recognized on her 59th birthday.
- Chace Crawford: The TV actor known for his role in “Gossip Girl” turns 38.
- Taylor Russell: The TV actress marks her 29th birthday.
- Taemin: The South Korean pop singer turns 30.
- Canelo Álvarez: The accomplished boxer celebrates turning 33.
- Nelson Mandela (1918-2013): The late South African president and anti-apartheid revolutionary is remembered on this day.
- W. G. Grace (1848-1915): The English cricket batsman and captain is also commemorated.
- Rose Hartwick Thorpe: The American poet and writer was born on this date in 1850.
Each individual is honored for their unique contributions and achievements that have left a mark on their audiences and followers. July 18 serves as a day to reflect on these accomplishments and celebrate the diverse talents that share this birth date.
Horoscope for July 18
July 18 is a day for Aries to focus on self-care and relaxation...
July 18 is a day for Aries to focus on self-care and relaxation. Take a break from your usual routine and indulge in activities that bring you joy and peace. Embrace the opportunity to recharge and rejuvenate.
Taurus, on July 18, you may find yourself drawn to creative pursuits...
Taurus, on July 18, you may find yourself drawn to creative pursuits. Embrace your artistic side and explore new forms of expression. Trust your instincts and let your imagination guide you.
July 18 encourages Geminis to prioritize communication and connection...
July 18 encourages Geminis to prioritize communication and connection. Reach out to loved ones, engage in meaningful conversations, and seek common ground with those around you. Your words have the power to bridge gaps and foster understanding.
Cancer, on July 18, focus on nurturing your emotional well-being...
Cancer, on July 18, focus on nurturing your emotional well-being. Create a peaceful sanctuary for yourself and engage in activities that bring you comfort. Take time to reflect on your innermost feelings and honor your sensitivities.
July 18 is a day for Leos to embrace their natural leadership qualities...
July 18 is a day for Leos to embrace their natural leadership qualities. Step into the spotlight with confidence and assert your ideas and vision. Your charisma will inspire others and lead to positive outcomes.
Virgos, on July 18, pay attention to the details and seek practical solutions...
Virgos, on July 18, pay attention to the details and seek practical solutions. Your analytical mindset will serve you well as you navigate challenges and make informed decisions. Trust in your ability to problem-solve effectively.
July 18 encourages Libras to find balance and harmony in their surroundings...
July 18 encourages Libras to find balance and harmony in their surroundings. Seek out beauty and create a serene environment that uplifts your spirit. Embrace the aesthetics that bring you joy and peace.
Scorpio, on July 18, trust in your intuition and delve into deeper layers of understanding...
Scorpio, on July 18, trust in your intuition and delve into deeper layers of understanding. Embrace introspection and explore your inner mysteries. Allow your instincts to guide you toward profound insights.
July 18 is a day for Sagittarius to expand their horizons and pursue new adventures...
July 18 is a day for Sagittarius to expand their horizons and pursue new adventures. Embrace the unknown with optimism and curiosity. Seek out opportunities for growth and open yourself to exciting possibilities.
Capricorns, on July 18, focus on setting ambitious goals and taking practical steps toward achieving them...
Capricorns, on July 18, focus on setting ambitious goals and taking practical steps toward achieving them. Your disciplined approach will lead to tangible progress and success. Stay committed to your aspirations.
July 18 encourages Aquarius to engage in meaningful social connections and collaborative efforts...
July 18 encourages Aquarius to engage in meaningful social connections and collaborative efforts. Embrace teamwork and collective brainstorming to bring innovative ideas to life. Your unique perspective will enrich group dynamics.
Pisces, on July 18, tap into your creative imagination and express yourself freely...
Pisces, on July 18, tap into your creative imagination and express yourself freely. Embrace artistic endeavors and allow your intuition to guide your inspirations. Share your unique vision with the world.
When is July 18?
No, it's not July 18 today. There are 137 days until July 18, 2024.
You can learn more about what day it is and what we celebrate today here.