In the Middle Earth books, Hobbits were part of civilization in a mythical land, created by J.R.R Tolkien, long before the Lord of The Rings became popular. Tolkien’s description of their society and habits is a favorite of mine. They are a small people, with a fierce independence and an abiding love of the home and family. They are also very quick to laughter, and have an amazing ability to enjoy simple things.
On this day, let everyone take some time to read or watch one of Tolkien’s stories about the hobbits, and remember that they are just like us- only smaller!
What is Hobbit Day?
Hobbit day is a day on which people celebrate Hobbits around the world. During this day, people wear clothes or costumes with a long tunic, long-hair and a big hat. Some also walk around without shoes in honor of the hobbits.
The History of Hobbit Day
1978 by the American Tolkien Society. The date was chosen because it was the anniversary of Tolkien’s birth.
When is Hobbit Day?
Hobbit day is celebrated on 22 September every year. The date was selected since the date is the birthday of J. R. R. Tolkien, who was born on that day in 1892. However, Bilbo Baggins, Frodo’s uncle also left the Shire after his farewell party on September 22, 3001, which is a part of the Lord of The Rings series written by Tolkien.
How is Hobbit Day Celebrated?
Hobbit day is a celebration for everyone, not just for the fans of Tolkien’s literature. In some cities there are several organized events and programs to celebrate this day. These events include activities for kids, such as programs to create Hobbit costumes and other games. Evening tours are also held in some major cities to show the real Hobbit lifestyle. This event is usually held in a restaurant, which serves meals using herbs that are used by Hobbits in the story. Even parties can be organized at home with friends or family and decorate their homes like hobbit homes.
5 Ways To Celebrate Hobbit Day
- Watch the movies: There are three Hobbit movies, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. All three can be watched on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.
- Collect Hobbit memorabilia: There are a lot of Hobbit-themed items out there to collect, from T-shirts to statues.
- Go on a Hobbit adventure: If you’re feeling brave, try taking on a new Tolkien adventure—perhaps visiting one of the many Tolkien locations around the world.
- Participate in a Hobbit-themed event: There are a lot of Hobbit-themed events happening all around the world, from tea parties to costume contests.
- Cook up a hobbit feast: Whether you’re cooking up an elaborate meal or just whipping up some snacks, celebrating Hobbit day is sure to be a delicious experience.
Why We Love Hobbit Day
We love this day not only because it is fun to celebrate, but also because it symbolizes the beautiful character of a Hobbit. Their stories have been told in J. R. R. Tolkien’s novel The Hobbit and are still alive today.
Top 3 Things We Love About Hobbit Day
- The sense of community that comes with being a Hobbit fan
- The joy we get from celebrating something small but special
- The sense of nostalgia we feel every time we get to share our love for Tolkien with others
The Hobbit story has become one of the most popular fantasy books in the world hence through Hobbit Day, it is hoped that more people will get to know the magical world of Hobbits. This day brings happiness and joy to Tolkien and Hobbit fans that are spread all over the world.