When approaching Mothers and Fathers day, it is hard to miss the gift displays in every store. However, the date for National Grandparents Day is something that can slip our minds. Grandparents are not only care-givers, but are also the people that often cannot help but spoil us! National Grandparent’s Day is a reminder to do something for our grandparents in return to let them know how appreciated they are. So whether its grandma and grandpa, nonna and nonno or oma and opa, read below to discover why and how you should celebrate this year.
What is National Grandparents Day?
National Grandparents Day may not be a public holiday, however it’s the perfect excuse to celebrate the grandparents in your life. Grandparents Day is celebrated on different dates in many countries around the world, all of which focus on recognizing both the past and ongoing contributions of senior citizens. Since National Grandparents Day was signed into law in the 1970’s, people have been putting aside this day to show their grandparents just how much they mean to them. You may have noticed that card companies and gift stores are becoming filled with treats to help us celebrate this day.
The History of National Grandparents Day
National Grandparents day has a few claims to its origins. Some credit Marian Lucille Herndon McQuade, who fought to ensure that senior citizens were recognized for their contributions to society. Others argue it was Michael Goldgar who initiated this day, spending $11,000 and making countless trips to meet with legislators.
When is National Grandparents Day?
This year, National Grandparents Day will fall on Sunday 11th September 2022 in the US. Although the date changes each year, National Grandparents Day always falls on the first Sunday of September, after Labor Day. Get it in your calendar and start planning a special Sunday for your Grandparents.
How is National Grandparents Day Celebrated?
The plans you make for National Grandparents Day can be unique as your grandparents themselves. Traditionally, cards are given, gifts are exchanged and a visit is made to the grandparents where possible.
Many schools will arrange a special activity which involves inviting grandparents in to watch performances or showcases, or even to participate in lessons. Some take this day as an opportunity to invite grandparents round for a meal while others may treat them to a meal in their favorite restaurant. Adults who may not still be blessed with grandparents could use this day to volunteer to help others.
9 Ways To Celebrate Grandparents Day
- Make them breakfast in bed: Pancakes or waffles, bacon, eggs, toast, yogurt and fruit.
- Take them on a picnic in the park: Pack a lunch and enjoy a day out together.
- Surprise them with tickets to a show or a sports game: Grandparents are usually big fans of entertainment!
- Give them a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant: Let them choose what they want to eat!
- Take them on a day trip: Go shopping, see a museum, take a walk around town.
- Make them a special dinner: Cook them something they love, like a steak or lobster tails.
- Surprise them with a gift: Get them something small that means a lot to them, like flowers or a favourite book.
- Take them out to get their nails done: Grandparents are always looking for ways to stay young and look their best!
- Invite them over for a game of cards: It’s always fun to get together and have some laughs!
Why we love Grandparents Day
There’s no denying that life is busy and weekends are soon swallowed up with grocery shopping, housework and running from one sporting activity to the next. Grandparents Day reminds us to take some time to put our beloved Grandparents first and do something special which may take them by surprise.
Top 3 Things We Love About Grandparents Day
- We love that grandparents give us a sense of stability and comfort in our lives. They are always there for us, no matter what, and we know that we can always count on them.
- Grandparents are often the first people to show us love and compassion. They have been there for us through thick and thin, and we cherish the memories we have of them.
- Grandparents can often provide us with valuable life advice which we can use to improve our own lives. They know a lot about life, and we think it’s amazing that they
You may tell your grandparents how much you love them at the end of each phone call or message, but Grandparents day is the perfect opportunity to show them how much you care. It’s time to get planning, get creative and make some magical memories.