Looking to learn more about digital marketing?
You’re in the right place! In this introduction guide I’ll answer common questions like:
- What is digital marketing?
- How has digital marketing evolved?
- What are the best places to learn more about digital marketing?
- Is it possible to get a job or start a business in the field?
Currently, the internet offers valuable platforms that expand opportunities for businesses. Social media is not just about sharing personal memories, stories, and plans. Companies can now leverage social media and the internet at large to reach potential customers.
The whole process has eased into people’s lives, so much that it has become a widely appreciated concept known as digital marketing. Below is an introduction to digital marketing and its world.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is the concept of selling and promotion of goods as well as services via digital platforms. Such digital media include email marketing, search engine marketing, social media marketing, and various other internet methods.
How does it work?
There are five necessary steps to understand how digital marketing works.
- Stay focused on your customers. Organizations must set up proper frameworks to enhance human-to-human bonds with the customers they are attempting to reach.
- Building a marketing framework and developing a story for the brand.
- Ensuring traffic acquisition and conversion optimization. Companies need to figure out how they will draw in customers to their sites.
- Companies need to be discovered by implementing the correct search engine optimization strategies.
- Making use of social media marketing, content marketing, and email marketing.
Evolution of digital marketing
The first digital marketer is believed to be Guglielmo Marconi, who, in 1896, invented the first public transmission of wireless signals. Digital marketing became famous in the 1990s, regardless of its existence for decades prior.
The introduction of the internet and web development platforms kick-started the digital world. During this initial period, marketers were unsure about their strategies. But for the first time in history, in 1993, HotWired purchased a clickable banner for an advertisement.
The incident initiated the marketing era that embraced digital platforms.
In 1994, Yahoo was launched and got nearly 1 million hits within the first year. This development brought changes within the digital and marketing platforms, with some big houses optimizing their websites to rank higher. 1996 saw the launch of search engines such as Looksmart and Alexa.
Google was launched in 1998, followed by Microsoft’s MSN. Later on, social networking websites began to penetrate the market. MySpace was the first to reach the market, followed by Facebook.
Subsequently, companies realized new websites were opening doorways and alternatives to their brands and products’ promotion and may of the shifted to digital market.
How to learn more about digital marketing?
There are a couple of paths to learning digital marketing. They both depend on your exact needs and requirements, as well as the resources available. You can learn digital marketing through;
- Mentoring from digital marketing experts
It is crucial to begin the learning process on your own. It is easier to filter out what information you will not need. Following this approach will help you comprehend the theoretical elements of digital marketing while giving insight into its concepts. You can do so by;
- Reading Digital Marketing blogs. These include Search Engine Journal and Quicksprout.
- Podcasts on Digital Marketing. If you are frequently on the move, podcasts are a fantastic way to carry around valuable information. Some of the podcasts that will help sharpen your digital marketing knowledge include; Marketing Scoop by SEMrush and the Jeff Large Podcast.
- Digital marketing books. An example is Digital Marketing; Strategy, Implementation & Practice by Dave Chaffey & Fiona Ellis-Chadwick.
- Digital Marketing Courses. Course you can choose if you want to gain digital marketing knowledge include;
- Social Media Quickstarter Digital Marketing Course
- HubSpot Academy Content Marketing Certification Course
Digital marketing as a career
The digital marketing industry is worth over $100 billion and has created over 175,000 job openings in the States. Examples of careers digital marketing can land someone includes;
- Digital brand heads
- Digital marketing heads
- Social media managers
- Paid advertisement managers
- Digital marketing managers
Businesses one can engage in with digital marketing knowledge have;
- Mobile app development
- Website development
- Email marketing
- Affiliate marketing
- Social media management
- Digital blogging
- Web content writing
- Influencer marketing
- Games development.
Digital marketing is the future of businesses. It has the potential to create millions of jobs and ensure companies connect with a steady customer base. The need for excellent marketing is so high that a web design company can employ a full-time marketing specialist.